Opinion: Resolutions for 2016
Commentary by Danielle Wilson
I made it! I survived the Christmas madness in one piece, and there was only one moment when I thought I might go Chernobyl on the fam. Low expectations, my friends. I planned for the worst and was pleasantly surprised by the results. With that thought in mind, here are my 2016 resolutions.
1. Write an article about New Year’s Resolutions. I bailed on this last year because of the pressure such a list creates. But look at me now! One NYR done!
2. I’ve mentioned a few times that I’d like to attempt a Half Ironman, but that’s just crazy talk. So my underachieving goal for this year will be to beat my brother-in-law in any race, preferably a 2K walk. I’m gunning for you, Scotty J.!
3. I’d like to be less insane about my bedtime. Santa was nice enough to bring me sleeper headphones, a cotton band with embedded soft speakers. I should be able to plug directly into a “Sounds of Nature” meditation playlist and never again hear my children or husband as they annoyingly stomp around downstairs pressing microwave buttons and slamming cabinet doors. I’m not expecting a miracle, so I’ll back everything up with a mask, sound machine and my patented pillow-burrowing maneuver. God rest ye merry mother.
4. I’ve fallen in to a bad habit of waiting until the last minute to write this column. Somehow the weekly missive continues to tank on the priority list, especially when pit against dance competitions and bathroom breaks. Therefore, in 2016, I pledge to at least begin writing two days prior to my deadline. Seeing as this particular piece is being composed 24-hours post, I’m going to lower my goal to one day. Wish me luck.
5. And finally, for this upcoming New Year, I hope to get on board with a family budget. Maybe it’s my recent holiday spending spree, but my financial anxiety has skyrocketed over the last month. No. More. Wire. Transfers. EVER!
Happy New Year! I’d encourage you to lower all expectations to make 2016 one big pleasant surprise. Peace out!