Glass forming and “Rain on Main” event featured at the August IU Health North Hospital Gallery Walk in the Carmel Arts & Design District
Wine and dine at one of the District restaurants, browse the new and exciting exhibits at 13 District galleries and explore all the unique things the District has to offer during the Second Saturday IU Health North Hospital Gallery Walk on Saturday, Aug. 8 from 5-9 p.m.
Guests 10 years of age and older are invited to try glass forming and make a hot-glass paperweight with Hot Blown Glass, Ltd. (in the PNC Bank parking lot, 21 N. Range Line Rd.)There is a $25 cost to participate in this activity and reservations are required. Contact Stephanie Marshall at firstname.lastname@example.org for reservations.
“Rain on Main,” a painted rain barrel contest and auction, will showcase 20 rain barrels painted by local artists displayed along Main Street. Guests may bid on the barrels at the silent auction during the Gallery Walk until 8 p.m. The barrel designs will be judged by an independent panel as well as have a “People’s Choice” award. Net proceeds from the auction will be used to fund water education signage in Carmel Clay Parks. The “Rain on Main” event is possible due to the sponsorship of Woodland Terrace Senior Living and in-kind support from Carmel businesses Touch’N Go Collision, Sherwin-Williams and White’s Ace Hardware.
The Carmel Arts & Design District welcomes The Center for Creative Arts (CCA) Gallery(111 W. Main St., Suite 135) to its family of galleries with its official opening at the August Gallery Walk. CCA Gallery showcases approximately 30 award-winning Indiana artists working in a variety of painting genres, wood, pottery, glass works, jewelry and photography.
Galleries and artists affiliated with the Indiana Design Center (IDC) (200 S. Range Line Rd.)will showcase their work from 5:30-7:30 pm., and participating showrooms will be open with artistic exhibits for guests to enjoy. The IDC will also host refreshments and entertainment that range from live music presented by The Warehouse to art activities for kids taught by Guerin Catholic students and opportunities to “meet the artist” or watch live artists paint in a pop-up gallery at Corporate Fine Art Group. Convenient above and underground parking makes the IDC a great starting point for visitors to the Gallery Walk.
Additional featured artists and exhibits include:
- Handmade furniture by Peter Falk and high dynamic range photography byMarie Reamer at ArtSplash Gallery (111 W. Main St., Suite 140)
- “Summer Recess,” a group show featuring Gallery Two artists and the Fine Estate Art Collection (at the Indiana Design Center, 200 S. Range Line Rd., Suite 120-B)
- Barry Lantz Art presents “Lantz Scapes” (at the Indiana Design Center, 200 S. Range Line Rd., Suite 211)
- Coats-Wright Art & Design presents “Bare Facts” featuring the work of J.D. Naraine (at the Indiana Design Center, 200 S. Range Line Rd., Suite 122 )
- A showcase of works by Elisabetta Fantone, Alexi Torres and Michael Gorman at Evan Lurie Gallery (30 W. Main St.)
- A sneak peek of a few paintings from the recent Paint Out in Telluride, Colorado by Susan Mauck at French Bleu Gallery (111 W. Main St., Suite 145)
Additional activities taking place during the August Gallery Walk include:
- A storewide summer sale at Silver in the City (111 W. Main St., Suite 150)
- Free fun photo op featuring rainy day-themed props and costumes in celebration of the “Rain on Main” event. A professional photographer will be on hand to take your photo and will e-mail them directly to you at a later date. This free activity will be located in the breezeway by Auntie Em’s Frozen Custard & Cupcakes (111 W. Main St., Suite 130)
- Free caricatures and face painting by Custom Eyes Design (by Auntie Em’s Frozen Custard & Cupcakes 111 W. Main St., Suite 130)
- Entertainment by guitarist Matt Ruddick and harpist Jan Aldridge-Clark
Be a part of the Scavenger Hunt that will lead you to find select pieces of art in each of the participating galleries and businesses. Begin the hunt at the ArtSplash Gallery (111 W. Main St., Suite 140). Follow the clues through the District and then turn in your completed clue sheet to receive a charm. Collect a different charm at each Gallery Walk throughout the year to complete a whole charm bracelet by the end of the year. Your completed clue sheet will also enter you for a chance to win one of the following prizes:
- Class for two at the Hot Blown Glass Studio with Lisa Pelo ($60 value)
- Two formed glass paperweights ($25 value each)
- Print by local artist Roseanne Crowell ($30 value)
- Pair of tickets to “Music for Memories” benefit ($30 value)
- Mosaic class with Nancy Keating ($48 value)
A map of the gallery locations and more information about the IU Health North Hospital Gallery Walk activities can be found at www.CarmelArtsAndDesign.com.
Public parking is available in the Carmel Lions Club lot (141 E. Main St.), Sophia Square parking garage (entrance off of 1st Ave NW), Indiana Design Center parking garage (200 S. Range Line Rd.) or available on-street public parking. The Arts & Design District parking map may be downloaded at http://www.carmelartsanddesign.com/images/Carmel_District_ParkingMap.pdf.