Experience a ‘Tropical Staycation’ at the Carmel Arts & Design District’s IU Health North Hospital Gallery Walk
Wine and dine at one of the District restaurants, browse the new and exciting exhibits at the 10 District galleries and explore all the unique things the District has to offer during the Second Saturday IU Health North Hospital Gallery Walk on Saturday, June 13, 2015 from 5-9 p.m.
The June Gallery Walk will celebrate the beauty of the ocean with a range of pieces centered around tropical vacations and sailing ships at Inspire Studio and Gallery (111 W. Main St., Suite 120) and an ocean-themed exhibit at Fine Estate & Gallery Two (in the Indiana Design Center, 200 S. Range Line Rd., Suite 120-B). A showcase of oil paintings by featured artist Carolyn Martens will also be on display at ArtSplash Gallery (111 W. Main St., Suite 140). Paint your own tropical masterpiece courtesy of Wine & Canvas with complimentary classes on the hour (in the breezeway by Auntie Em’s Frozen Custard & Cupcakes, 111 W. Main St., Suite 130). The charm for the monthly scavenger hunt bracelet will be a tiny treasure chest and prizes for the children including plush toy Macaws.
The Indiana Design Center (200 S. Range Line Rd.) will host special activities during the Gallery Walk including a free origami class taught by students from Guerin Catholic High School and a live performance by Andra Faye and Scott Ballantine presented by The Warehouse. Corporate Fine Art Group will present Christine Kim, a Toronto based artist who works in illustration, cut paper, installations and collages.
Cast your vote at the 4th annual “Chairs of a Different Color” competition, where Carmel High School Tech Hound students paired with a local artist to design and paint Adirondack chairs. The chairs will be on display along 111 W. Main St. between 1st Avenue and the Monon Greenway for visitors to vote for their favorite design between 5-9 p.m.
Additional features and activities taking place during the June Gallery Walk include:
- Strawberry Festival hosted by St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church in the PNC Bank parking lot (21 N. Range Line Rd.) from Noon – 8 p.m.
- A free photo opwith fun tropical-themed props and costumes to use. A professional photographer will be on hand to take your photo and will e-mail them directly to you at a later date. (Located near Vitality Bowls, 110 W. Main St., Suite 115)
- Free caricatures by Custom Eyes Design (by Auntie Em’s Frozen Custard & Cupcakes 111 W. Main St., Suite 130)
- Entertainment by harpist Jan Aldridge-Clark , juggler Shawn Gwyn, hula hoopdemonstration by PJ Smith and dancers from Gregory Hancock Dance Theaterstrolling the District in costume
- Be a part of the Scavenger Hunt that will lead you to find select pieces of art in each of the participating galleries and businesses. Begin the hunt at the ArtSplash Gallery (111 W. Main St., Suite 140). Follow the clues through the District and then turn in your completed clue sheet to receive a charm. Collect a different charm at each Gallery Walk throughout the year to complete a whole charm bracelet by the end of the year. Your completed clue sheet will also enter you for a chance to win one of the following prizes:
- A pair of tickets to the Carmel Symphony Orchestra ($43 value)
- Two children’s gift basket of art supplies ($35 value each)
- Passes to the Monon Community Center ($10 value each)
- Gift certificate to Bella Centro Salon ($40 value)
- An original print by ArtSplash Gallery artist Roseanne Crowell ($35 value)
- An art class by Anna Afshar at ArtSplash Gallery ($35 value)
- An art class by Randall Scott Harden at Inspire Studio & Gallery ($40 value)
A map of the gallery locations and more information about the IU Health North Hospital Gallery Walk activities can be found at www.CarmelArtsAndDesign.com.
Public parking is available in the Carmel Lions Club lot (141 E. Main St.), Sophia Square parking garage (entrance off of 1st Ave NW), Indiana Design Center parking garage (200 S. Range Line Rd.) or available on-street public parking. The Arts & Design District parking map may be downloaded athttp://www.carmelartsanddesign.com/images/Carmel_District_ParkingMap.pdf.