Column: Ready, set, go!
And we’re off … rushing to rejuvenate gardens, patios, kitchens, minds and spirits. At least that’s what it feels like, after a solid string of warm, sunny days that seem to percolate our enthusiasm for life and improvements. There’s actually a biological explanation for our irrational exuberance. Credit goes to a provocative cocktail of sun producing vitamin D combined with the endorphins released with physical activity. I love endorphins!
Refresh your outdoor space
Many landscapes and outdoor living spaces begin to look tired after several years of use and snowy winters. Here are six painless strategies to refresh your outdoors:
- Ever notice how your car looks gloomy a handful days after washing? Your patio and deck are the same way. Pollution and acid rain are the primary ugly culprits. Combine that with colorful explosions of BBQ sauce and red wine and imagine how a powerful pressure washing or scrubbing will brighten the space. Our patios are intentionally overworked and needs scrubbed a few times a year.
- An annual spring-cleaning of landscape beds is imperative. It’s such “low hanging fruit,” it shouldn’t even make the list. Clean the beds, prune, fresh edge, mulch and you are good.
- Let’s have some fun! Go shopping and discover the bright new luxury prints on patio furniture cushions, rugs and pillows. It’s amazing how often we employ that strategy to rescue tired spaces that had been targeted for replacement. Push those saved dollars to something more exciting.
- Nothing says rejuvenation like shiny pots with a controlled chaos of plants screaming for attention. Think BIG. Small pots get lost.
- Here’s another brilliant idea that will separate you from the ordinary … oversized mailbox and coach lampposts.
- New house mounted coach lamps, front door hardware and painting/ staining the front door are additional high value and reasonable cost ideas.
Are you more ambitious than simple facelift ideas? Me, too. You’ve been reading about them for years. It’s time to indulge in the pergola/fire feature/grill station era. There’s a reason they are all the rage … they work. They inspire. They bring people together to laugh. Join the REJUVENATION frenzy. Get your dose this spring and celebrate life!