Column: Guiding principles lay the groundwork for 2016
Commentary by Dr. Nicholas Wahl and Layla N. Spanenberg
As we begin a New Year, we are filled with enthusiasm for the students and families in Carmel Clay Schools. While the calendar year is new, 2016 is a continuation of an exciting school year for our students, teachers and staff. In 2015, we adopted a strategic plan and action plan, and we are looking forward to the continued implementation of the initiatives outlined in these plans.
A significant component of our strategic plan, which has become essential to everything we implement at Carmel Clay Schools, was the development of guiding principles by the Carmel Clay School Board. These belief statements guide our school community in decision-making that keeps our district moving forward and maintains our tradition of excellence.
Since they are instrumental to everything we do at Carmel Clay Schools, we want to share our guiding principles with you.
- Students are at the center of every decision.
- A safe, non-threatening learning environment is essential.
- Students’ academic, social, emotional and physical needs must be addressed.
- Students and employees excel when held to high personal standards and expectations.
- High quality employees are vital to the success of our organization.
- Effective teaching and learning requires continuous improvement.
- Diverse opportunities benefit all students.
- Open and transparent communication maintains stakeholder trust.
- Parent and community involvement enhances student learning.
- Fiscal responsibility is fundamental to achieving our vision.
One action plan initiative we are excited to complete this year is a technology integration plan. We are mindfully researching options and best practices to ensure the result is a plan that continues to enhance student learning. As we progress with the development of this technology integration plan, we will keep our Carmel Clay Schools community updated.
We wish you all the best this New Year and look forward to sharing more of the exciting events occurring at Carmel Clay Schools in 2016!
Dr. Nicholas Wahl is superintendent of Carmel Clay Schools. Layla N. Spanenberg is board president of Carmel Clay Schools.