Column: Cool kitchen and bath ideas for a modern home
At the Affordable Companies, we are always on the lookout for new trends, styles and updates that can transform your living spaces. Below, I’ve compiled a list of cool ideas for kitchen and bathroom updates that may inspire you to jumpstart a few summer renovation projects. Take a look and start feeling creative.
• Floating shelves: Instead of storing their dishes away in cupboards and cabinetry, more homeowners are choosing to display them as part of the kitchen aesthetic. Floating shelves are designed to be installed on a wall without showing any hardware or stabilizing brackets.
• Brass, black and gold metals: In everything from faucets to cabinet fixtures, brass, black and brushed gold have become trendier trendy than traditional silver.
• Colorful backsplashes: Looking for a way to put a pop of color into your neutral kitchen? Try using colored tiles to create a visually exciting backsplash. Tiles are so versatile that you can experiment with designs using solid colors, patterns or mosaics.
• Corner sinks: Most kitchens don’t utilize the corner for anything more than a countertop or appliance. A corner sink can free up your countertop space while bring a unique and trendy look to the kitchen.
• Outside kitchens: For the family who enjoys eating, cooking and entertaining in the sunny weather, an outside kitchen is the perfect set-up. Outside kitchens are growing in popularity around the country, because they are so impressive, glamorous and functional at the same time.
• Stand alone tubs: Because they take up less space than the traditional tiled-in-tub, many homeowners are choosing to install a freestanding tub. This also frees up space to create a luxurious modern shower.
• Luxury showers: When it comes to relaxing and unwinding after a tough day, showers are becoming more popular than bathtubs. Look for spacious showers that don’t include a traditional bench seat.
• Innovative storage: Bathrooms always seem overcrowded with beauty products, shaving kits, soaps, electronics and more. Maximize your storage space by taking advantage of moveable storage, deep cabinet drawers and behind the door storage.
• Glamorous lighting: A great lighting scheme in the bathroom can help you start and end your day in the right mood. Ditch your traditional overhead, vanity lighting for some innovative LED backlighting or stylish wall sconces. Install an overhead light or chandelier for an extra touch of elegance.
• Smart electronics and appliances: Technological advances like touch-less faucets, high efficiency toilets and showerheads that conserve water are in high demand.
Looking for more exciting ideas? You can visit the Affordable Companies website for news, updates and photos of cutting edge designs for your kitchen, bathrooms and other living spaces.