Column: 5 hot outdoor living trends
Commentary by Randy Sorrell
It’s a regular conversation we have, and a provocative one! It compels us to identify the large movements in outdoor living and separate those from the short-lived trends that will certainly fizzle. Stimulating to recognize we are driving a revolution that is inspiring families out to patios and decks like decades’ past.
Here are my five favorite movements:
- The realization that luxury outdoor living is not a trend, but a healthy lifestyle choice that brings joy, hope and gratitude — and lots of fun. Outdoor living has been rediscovered, and time will strengthen the growth as its benefits are measured and appreciated.
- Finally, stylish outdoor furniture has made its way to a few of the big box retailers. Sleek, colorful, radiant, well-constructed and affordable. Great furniture with thought-out placement changes how the space lives and fuels entertainment and laughter.
- Fire features, abbreviated grill stations, shade structures and privacy are major topics with our clients. Recurring themes for years that speak to our lifestyle and what’s important to us. Get ready for some crazy products that will fuse the indoors with the out even more.
- Low-maintenance deserves its own zip code. We love the outdoors but don’t necessarily want to spend hours a week maintaining it. Want a boost in outdoor living? Hire a weekly gardener to stop by for an hour a week to snip, prune and clean up.
- Keep it simple. There’s no reason your deck/patio/walk has to be complicated by forced curves and not enough gathering space. Simple, clean and easy are the foundational elements of elegant spaces and have been for centuries.
It’s going to be lots of fun. Actually, it already is.