Carmel police issue warning about scammers
Carmel police are warning residents about scammers using recorded messages claiming to be from the FBI or IRS. The scammer tells the resident they owe money and that they should call a 765 area code to pay a fine or they will be arrested.
Police are reminding residents not to give out personal information or send money to unknown or unreliable sources.
Here are a few common sense rules from CPD to follow to avoid being a victim:
1. DEAL LOCALLY WITH PEOPLE YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON – follow this one simple rule to avoid 99 percent of the scam attempts.
2. USE CAUTION WHEN WIRING FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service
3. FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
4. NEVER GIVE OUT PERSONAL OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account numbers, social security numbers, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
5. AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL “GUARANTEE” YOUR TRANSACTION.
To report a possible scam, call 317-571-2580.