Carmel police issue vehicle warning
Commentary by Lt. Joe Bickel
Carmel Police Department
Vehicle thefts are a major problem in all cities but it’s also easy to prevent. Most often, these thefts occur because vehicles are left unlocked, even for a short period of time. Remember to remove the car keys and always lock your doors.
Additional Prevention Tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings. Do you see someone watching from a nearby car?
- Always park in well-lighted high traffic areas.
- Utilize a car alarm.
- Completely close your car windows when parking. Don’t make it easy for a thief to gain entry.
- If you have a garage use it.
- When parking in your garage, lock the garage door and your vehicle; by locking both the chances of deterring a crime greatly improve.
- Report suspicious activity to the Carmel Police Department (Non-emergency #317-571-2580).