Busy weekends ahead: Carmel road closures to impact traffic during festival weekends in Arts & Design District
From classic cars to marathon runs, late night parties on Main to international arts – the Carmel Arts & Design District is one happening place for the next several weeks. The activities will bring much excitement to residents and visitors, but it will also bring traffic restrictions and road closures.
In addition to posting signs along Main Street and Range Line Road, the City of Carmel wants to be proactive by releasing in advance the restrictions motorists will see during the annual IU Health North Hospital Carmel Artomobilia, which takes place in the District this Aug. 27 from noon to 5 p.m. Last year, the event drew more than 8,000 attendees.
Roads will be closed for the festival beginning at 6 a.m. Saturday to accommodate the setup of the festival and move-in of the cars. The closures will remain until about 8 p.m. The main road closure points for the festival are:
- 1st Ave. NE/SE & E. Main Street (by Woodys Library Restaurant)
- 1st St. NE/NW & N. Range Line Road (by PNC Bank and Vine Healthcare)
- 4th Ave. SW & W. Main Street (by the roundabout)
- 3rd St. SE/SW & S. Range Line Road (just south of the Indiana Design Center)
As usual, parking will still be accessible to all lots behind buildings, in the Sophia Square parking garage, in the Indiana Design Center parking garage, the Lions Club lot and all available on-street public parking surrounding the festival area.
Similar closures will also be forthcoming for other events on the calendar.
Including the following:
Run317 – A 5K event that starts and ends in the District.
- Closure date and time: Sept. 1 from 6–9 p.m.
- Event date and time: Sept. 1 from 7-9 p.m.
- Roads closed: Full closure of Main Street from 4th Ave SW roundabout (roundabout stays open) to 1st Ave NW/SW by Muldoon’s & The Pint Room from 6-9 p.m. Partial/rolling closure of race course from 7-9 p.m.
Golf Celebration Week/Late Night on Main – A festive event being held in conjunction with the BMW Championships at Carmel’s Crooked Stick Golf Club.
- Closure date and time: Sept. 10 from 2 p.m. until midnight or later to accommodate cleanup of festival.
- Event date and time: Sept. 10 from 8:30 p.m. to midnight.
- Roads closed: Full closure of Main Street from just east of 2nd Ave NW to 1st Ave NW/SW by Muldoon’s & The Pint Room. 2nd Ave NW will remain open to traffic
Carmel International Arts Festival – One of the city’s largest festivals featuring international art, music and food booths.
- Closure date and time: Sept. 23 through 25, exact hours to be determined.
- Event date and time: Sept. 24, 10 a.m.–6 p.m. and Sept. 25, 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Roads closed: Main Street from 1st Ave. NE/SE (by Woodys Library Restaurant) to 4th Ave SW (by the roundabout, but roundabout stays open); Range Line Road from 1st St. NE/NW (by PNC Bank and Vine Healthcare) to 1st St. SE/SW (by Integrity Automotive); 2nd Ave NW from Main St. to 1st St NW.
*Submitted content courtesy of the City of Carmel