Before and after: Updating your 90s kitchen
This home is located in the Avian Glen Subdivision in Carmel. It was built in 1994 and the kitchen was original to the home. The homeowners have lived there for eight years and were ready for an update.
The cabinets were old thermafoil cabinets that were beginning to peel. The island was too small for the space and countertop would often move in place. The space was poorly utilized and did not meet the needs of the family.
The goal was to achieve a fully functional and beautiful kitchen for a busy family.
1. A large prep island was installed to create room for additional seating.
2. The built-in desk and pantry closet were eliminated to provide room for a more functional cabinet pantry with roll-out drawers. This also provided room for additional countertop space.
3. Pull out wire baskets were installed providing the perfect storage solution for produce.
4. Under cabinet lighting and two large pendant lights were installed to brighten up the space.
5. Granite countertops replaced the outdated and decrepit laminate tops. Solid, black granite with a matte finish was used for the perimeter and lighter granite with ample movement was installed on the island.
6. Personalized city tile backsplash was installed allowing the clients to select tile of the cities where they previously lived.
7. Hardwood flooring was installed throughout the first level creating a continuous flow between the kitchen and the rest of the home.
8. New ceramic tile was installed in the adjacent laundry room and half bathroom completing the flow and new look of the home with the kitchen.
9. The traditional kitchen was energized by adding industrial touches in the backsplash, island seating, and lighting.