Back in the day: Lynwood Farm’s contributions live on
By Terri Horvath
Between 1932 and 1942, a Carmel enterprise known as Lynnwood Farm became well known for raising Polled Shorthorn cattle, Berkshire hogs and Percheron draft horses. The farm covered 527 acres north of East 116th Street and west of River Road. The northern boundary was East 131st Street, with the western fence line set at Hazel Dell Parkway.
During this time, the farm was owned by the Lynn family, who donated the land to Purdue University in 1942. Under Purdue’s stewardship, priority on raising livestock shifted to research. One of the outcomes was the origin of no-till farming, which arose from scientists who studied the misuse of chemicals on crops. Innovations in artificial insemination also occurred. In fact, thousands of agriculture students from around the world visited the facility to study the operation of a world-class livestock farm.
By the mid-1980s, research had slowed. The value of the property, however, had skyrocketed as increasing numbers of families wanted to settle in the area. The farm was sold, and the proceeds established a trust for Purdue’s remaining farms.
Now the area contains the neighborhoods of Overture Overlook, Plum Creek Farms, Plum Creek Ridge and Lynwood at Plum Creek. Landmarks include Plum Creek Golf Club and Northview Church.