The City of Carmel will continue its aggressive schedule for road improvements with dozens of new roundabouts set for 2016 and 2017 construction. After closing the Carmel Drive and Range Line Road intersection for a new roundabout, the city also closed 116th Street and Gray Road on Aug. 29 for a new roundabout. Construction on the Gray Road roundabout is expected to last into November.
Three other roundabouts on the western and central parts of Carmel were set to start after the BMW Championship, a PGA event at Crooked Stick Golf Course that ran through Sept. 11.
Except for Gray Road, which has already begun, all of the roundabout projects will begin in early September and are expected to take about 75 days each.
116th Street and Gray Road Roundabout
The project will add a roundabout and increase vehicular and pedestrian/cyclist connectivity. The closure of more than three months is due to major utilities work, elevation changes and the need to shift the project away from Flowing Well Park, which is protected from encroachment due to previously established federal protection. Motorists are advised to utilize Hazel Dell and Keystone parkways to accommodate north-south traffic and east-west traffic will use 96th street.
Carey Road and Hawthorne Drive Roundabout and Carey Road and 136th Street Roundabout
These nearby roundabouts will start at approximately the same time in early September. Motorists are advised to use Gray Road and Keystone Parkway for northbound and southbound traffic and eastbound and westbound traffic will use Main Street and 146th Street.
106th Street & Towne Road
This intersection upgrade project will not begin until after the BMW Championship event at Crooked Stick Golf Club, so as to avoid any traffic problems.
Pennsylvania Street and City Center Drive Roundabout
Construction on this intersection is also scheduled to begin soon, but not until after the BMW Championship. Detour will utilize Guilford Road to accommodate northbound and southbound traffic and eastbound and westbound traffic will use West Carmel Drive.
Carmel Drive and Range Line Road Roundabout 2016 Summer
The federally-funded project began in mid-August with utility relocation work, a new roundabout, curbs and sidewalks. The intersection of Carmel Drive and Range Line Road will be closed until approximately Nov. 19.
Eastbound 126th Street
Eastbound traffic is closed on 126th Street between Range Line Road and Keystone Parkway through spring of 2017 for improvements that include multiuse paths and stormwater management. Traffic detours to Main and 116th streets.
- Landscaping and streetscape improvements within existing Roundabouts 2016 Summer – Fall 2017
- Pennsylvania Street and Carmel Drive Roundabout 2017 Fall
- Gray Road and Main Street Roundabout 2016 Fall
- AAA Way and Carmel Drive Roundabout 2017 Fall
- Towne Road and 116th Street Roundabout 2017 Fall
- Range Line Road and Executive Drive Roundabout 2017 Spring
- Range Line Road and 4th Street Roundabout 2017 Spring
- Range Line Road and 116th Street Roundabout 2017 Spring
- Gray Road and 136th Street Roundabout 2017 Spring
- Gray Road and 126th Street Roundabout 2017 Spring
- 96th Street and Delegates Row Roundabout 2017 Spring
- 96th Street and Keystone Parkway Interchange construction Roundabout 2017 Spring – 2018 Fall
- Range Line Road and City Center Drive Roundabout 2017 Summer
- 96th Street and Hazel Dell Parkway Roundabout 2017 Summer
- 96th Street and Gray Road Roundabout 2017 Summer
- 116th Street and Hazel Dell Parkway Roundabout 2017 Summer
- 96th Street and Priority Way Roundabout 2017 Fall – 2018
- Carmel Drive and Old Meridian Roundabout 2017 Fall
- Towne Road and 106th Street Roundabout 2017
- Guilford Road and City Center Drive Roundabout 2017
- Guilford Road and Carmel Drive Roundabout 2017
- Carmel Drive and City Center Drive Roundabout 2017
- 111th Street and Range Line Road Roundabout 2018
- AAA Way and 116th Street Roundabout 2018
- 96th Street and Randall Drive Roundabout 2018
- 116th Street and Guilford Road Roundabout 2018
- 116th Street and College Avenue Roundabout 2018