The CarmelFest parade will step off at AAA Way and Carmel Drive rain or shine at 10:30 a.m. on July 4. However, if thunder or lightning are detected within 15-30 miles (for approximately 30 minutes) from the starting point, a voluntary evacuation of the lineup or parade route will be strongly encouraged.
The following hazardous weather announcement will be made using a bull horn and/or public address system to warn of the approaching hazardous weather:
“Hazardous weather, including lightning, is within 30 miles of the CarmelFest area and will likely lead to the suspension of the events. Those of you who wish to leave the area for safe shelter are strongly encouraged to do so at this time.”
If the parade has not begun, parade marshals will notify units of the impending hazardous weather. If parade units are on the parade route, the Camel Police Dept. will notify parade participants as well as guests.
If hazardous weather is expected in the late morning, the parade may start earlier at 10 a.m. in hopes to avoid the coming storm.
If hazardous weather is detected at 10:30 a.m, the parade will be postponed so that participants may get to safe shelter.
If the hazardous weather has not been cleared from the area by 11:30 a.m., the parade will be cancelled and not rescheduled.
CarmelFest Parade Shelters
- Carmel Lions Club- 141 E. Main St. (Open 30 minutes prior to start until conclusion)
- City Center Parking Garage – 100 City Center Dr. (City Center Dr./Range Line Rd.)
- Carmel Fire Department – 2 Civic Square (24 hour access)
- City Hall – 1 Civic Square – (24 hour access)
- Carmel Police Department – 3 Civic Square ( 24 hour access)
- Indiana Design Center Garage – 100 S Range Line Rd. (Range Line Rd., 24 hour access)
- Sophia Square Psarking Garage – 1st Ave. NW Old Downtown Area (24 hour access)
- Carmel High School – 520 E Main St. (Access Door #9 with key-Shelter in Community Room)
- Circle K Gas Station – 1230 S. Range Line Rd. (Range Line Rd/Carmel Dr., 24 hour access)
- MCL – 1390 Keystone Way (Open 7 p.m. until conclusion of parade)
- Flix Brewhouse – 2206 E. 116th St. (Opens at 10 a.m.)
- Kroger – 1217 S. Range Line Rd. (Open during parade hours)
- Carmel Library – 55 4th Ave SE. (Access by Carmel Fire Dept. during parade hours)