The youth-driven Carmel Green Teen Micro-Grant Program, administered by students and sponsored by Carmel Utilities, awarded checks to six local youth groups to fund their volunteer eco-friendly, green projects.
- Orchard Park Recycling Clubs ($383.56) – Orchard Park Elementary fifth graders will provide recycling containers to be used in their school. The containers will be easily transported and set up.
- 2015 Earth Fair ($550) – The CHS Environmental Sustainability Club will hold an Earth Fair on May 23 at the Carmel Community Garden. The event will include games, food, music and informational booths from community organizations.
- Goodbye Plastics: Get Your Own Water Bottle ($870) – Clay Middle School students and staff will have the opportunity to donate disposable plastic water bottles. The first 120 who do will receive a free refillable water bottle. A water refilling station will also be installed in the school.
- U Drink Water Bottle Station ($979.00) – The University High School Stewardship Club will install two filtered bottle refilling station in the two buildings of the school to promote the use of reusable water bottles instead of disposable bottles.
- NHS Recycling ($900) – The Carmel High School National Honor Society students will increase recycling at Carmel High School by offering recycling containers at special events. The students will also empty the containers as well as offer recycling education to the student body.
- Blazer’s Butterfly Garden ($491.20) – The University High School EcoBlazers will be building a perennial flower garden specifically designed to attract and support Monarch butterflies. While the garden’s focus is providing for the Monarch butterfly, the plant selection will appeal to a wide variety of butterflies, moths and pollinators. Upon its completion, the Blazer Butterfly Garden will also meet criteria set by monarchwatch.org that will allow it to be registered as an official Monarch Waystation.
For more information about the Carmel Green Teens MicroGrant Program, visit www.carmelgreenteen.org.