Update: Father, son die following Carmel house fire

0
Fire investigators believe the fire started due an electrical problem. (Staff photo)

Fire investigators believe the fire started due an electrical problem. (Staff photo)

Staff report

Both victims of a house fire earlier this week on Auman Drive in Carmel died, according to family members and officials with the Marion County Coroner’s Office.

Jim Shiel, 26, died at 11:47 a.m. March 21 and his son Andy, 2, died at 5:58 a.m. March 22. Both had been hospitalized in Indianapolis after the early morning fire on March 20.

A pet dog, Kansas, also died in the fire.

Jim Shiel’s body had been kept on life support since March 20 so that his organs – his heart, pancreas, liver and both kidneys – could be donated to three people in need, according to a news release from the City of Carmel

Family members said they wanted to extend thanks to the firefighters’ efforts and attention paid to them during this tragic loss, the release said.

The fire was reported at 6:31 a.m. March 20 by a neighbor who was leaving for work and noticed fire coming from the front of the house.

The neighbor called 9-1-1 and knocked on the door trying to alert the residents. When no one answered she then went and alerted another neighbor who attempted to enter the house on fire, but was not able to enter due to smoke and fire, according to a news release from the City of Carmel

When Carmel firefighters arrived they discovered the two victims in the kitchen.

Fire investigators believe some pinched electrical wires behind a desk may have caused the fire to ignite curtains and spread through part of the house, according to the release.

There were no smoke detectors found in this house, said Bruce Knott, Fire Marshal for the Carmel Fire Department.

Share.